Spring is upon us! This means snow thawing, warmer days, birds chirping, and spring cleaning.
At one point or another, we all accept the inevitable task of spring cleaning. Chores are never fun – but throughout my years of scrubbing and dusting, I’ve come across some pretty neat tricks on social media.
Did I mention I LOVE a clean house?! These are by far my top three hacks.
1. Laundry Stripping
What is laundry stripping you may ask? Well, it is a method of deep cleaning your clothes that may not have come completely clean – even when they are freshly washed! I’ve tried this on gym gear, towels, blankets and even hats. Without fail, this laundry hack gets them incredibly clean and feeling fresh again. This method went viral on social media last year – and with good reason!
Instructions are simple:
– Fill your bathtub with hot water.
o ¼ cup Borax
o ¼ cup baking soda
o ¼ cup of your favorite laundry soap
– Add your clothes and give it all a good stir with a broom handle (or any other long stick!)
– Stir the clothes every hour for 4-6 hours.
– Wash and dry the clothes/towels/blankets as normal. For hats, let air dry.
You’ll be astounded at how clean your clothes come out. No more smells, stains or residues.
Here’s a link so some of the results of laundry stripping (with 5.5 million likes!):
2. Shower Stains
Who likes hard water stains in their shower? No one. Especially after putting so much elbow grease into trying to remove them. Fear not! This cleaning tip takes off hard water stains like nothing you’ve ever tried before.
Instructions are as follows:
– Add ½ cup vinegar and water to a spray bottle (you can use straight vinegar here if you can handle the strong smell!)
– Spray over shower doors and leave for 10 mins
– Wipe clean as you normally do!
You can also soak rags or paper towel in undiluted vinegar and wrap around faucets for 10 minutes. Then just wipe clean! It’s truly a natural magic trick.
Here’s a link to a video for more information and results:
3. Mattress Deep Clean
Mattresses are one of the least cleaned items in your home! Unfortunately, things like skin oils, skin cells, and dust particles can build up – leaving you with an extremely dirty mattress. This hack is simple, straightforward and you can do it with items you already have at home! It does take some time commitment, but trust me, it’s worth it.
– Vacuum your mattress off.
– Sprinkle generously with baking soda all over the mattress.
– Let sit for 8-10 hours.
– Vacuum off again!
– Fill a spray bottle with:
o 2 cups of water
o 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
o 5 drops of clear unscented dish soap
o 5 drops of your favorite essential oil
– Spray mattress down and use a toothbrush or scrubby to scrub out any stains.
– Air dry completely and you’re done!
My mattress comes out smelling fresh every single time. Here is a link with more instructions and results: