With snow in the upcoming forecast we thought there is no better time for some friendly home owning winter reminders
1. Keep your home heating costs down by replacing air filters & checking the caulking around windows and doors for air leaks.
2. Watch for snow accumulation quickly after a storm. High risk areas to keep an eye on are air intakes, exhaust vents & any entry way to the home.
3. NEVER turn off the heat completely. We’ve all heard the horror stories (or experienced them) of pipes freezing & busting. To avoid this always maintain an adequate temperature & air circulation throughout the house. If you need to leave for a long period of time, have a family or friend (or realtor) come check on your home during this time.
4. Keep safety in mind! Home fires actually increase in the winter months. The main reason being the malfunction of the heating system. Make sure you check your fireplaces & chimneys for fire hazards as well as batteries in your detectors.
5. Outdoor plants that require protection include (not limited to) roses, newly planted perennials and small trees.